Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sleep Study


We know that Finleigh's melatonin production is flipped because she has Smith-Magenis Syndrome and something about missing that little bit of chromosome 17 makes it that way.

What we don't know is what kind of sleep she does get when she is sleeping. How well is she really sleeping at night? It will be interesting to know.

It will also be nice to have a medical document that proves that we're not crazy.

She was a rock star during her ordeal. She only had minimal tears as she was hooked up to wire after wire after wire on her head, her belly, her toes, her arms, her legs. And then had mesh put on her head. And heard a funny voice come over an intercom asking her to follow some simple directions. Blink your eyes. Move your foot. Pretend to snore.

At least, that's what my husband tells me. I was wandering around stores doing a little bit of late night shopping. And then visiting with my brother and his wife. And then sleeping in a bed, all by myself while they were tossing and turning in a hospital bed... all hooked up to wires.

But she made it through the night and stayed in bed until 5:30am. So lest you think I had it so easy... I was awake at 5am to get back to the hospital to pick them up... because my brother lives a half hour away from the hospital... which is definitely better than the 5 hours it would take from our house (the approximate amount of sleep I got that night).

Suffice to say... sleep studies don't seem to be conducive to sleep. At least not for my family. But it was good to get it done... and hopefully this will give our doctors and social worker some good insight into our lives. Only time will tell, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. OOO TILLY HAD ONE OF THOSE FOR SLEEP APNOEA! nowhere near as many wires! what a star she is for putting up with that! Tilly would have ripped the flippin lot off in 2 minutes! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anyone who would like to have that stuff all over them while they try to sleep. What an adorable trooper. And how fun for you to have a little solo shopping trip! Hope this helps in some way.

    ReplyDelete